Fr. Rene Realuyo
Saturday: 5:00 p.m.
Sunday: 10:00 a.m.
Fort Kent (St. Joseph)
École Notre Dame Elementary School
École DR Bernard Brosseau School
École Notre Dame High School
Designated Catholic School
(Public School Board)
LAKELAND CATHOLIC SCHOOL DIVISION
Christ Our Model. Children Our Focus
The history of Lakeland Catholic School Division is as rich as the communities it serves. Although the school district as it is known today wasn’t formed until 1980, the schools it oversees were built and filled with curious students and knowledgeable teachers.
It dates back to 1937, when the ratepayers of the Cold Lake School District began considering
establishing and petitioning for a separate school district in their community. At the time, the Government of Alberta gave consideration to the request. However, it wasn’t until 1957 that the Grand Centre Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 67 would be established.
St. Dominic Elementary School was built in the community of Cold Lake in 1958.
In 1962, Notre Dame High School was constructed in the Town of Bonnyville, followed by Assumption Jr/Sr High School in 1964 in Cold Lake.
In September 1980, the Minister of Education announced the dissolution of all school districts in the Bonnyville, Grand Centre, and Cold Lake communities. This included Bonnyville School District No. 2665, Cold Lake Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 64, Grand Centre Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 67, Bevin Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 124, and Willow Trail Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 125.
This was when Lakeland Roman Catholic Separate School District No. 150 was established and took ownership of all assets and liabilities of the dissolved school districts.
Three years after its formation, the Lakeland Catholic Board of Education Centre was built. Lionel T. Rémillard was Superintendent of Schools and Executive Officer at the time.
A few years later, in the mid-to-late 1980’s, Dr. Bernard Brosseau Middle School and École Notre Dame Elementary School were constructed.
The division then added Holy Family Catholic School in 2004.
Holy Cross Elementary was built in 2007 as a replacement school for Mackenzie River School.
In 2015, the community in Lac La Biche advocated for the creation of a separate school district, and one year later Light of Christ Catholic School was opened.
After over 40 years of educating bright young minds, Lakeland Catholic School Division is proud to offer faith-based learning in eight schools across four communities. At Lakeland Catholic, we live by our motto: Christ Our Model. Children Our Focus.